Saturday, April 11, 2009

Netbooks are a Fad

Okay, I said it. The "experts" are claiming that Netbooks will overtake laptops and replace them as our everyday tool. I saw they are wrong. I think Netbooks have a purpose for now - they fill a void in the space between laptops and smartphones.

But as technology works to close this gap, the need for these devices will diminish. Already, the iPhone can do more than a Netbook. And the future versions will be even better. Cloud computing is in our future, but it is still al ong way off. It will be very hard to get our society to trust a Cloud. We want our devices in our hands.

So, if you are selling all of your stock to invest in netbooks, then don't. You will be sorry. You will be just like GM who said, "lets close all of our SUV factories because no one will want then anymore." False. No one wanted them during the high gas price time, but they will want their big babies when the price goes back to normal.

I am not a futurist, but I wanted to put this in writing and post it for future record. I am not a "told you so" personality, but if I have this blog post, perhaps a year or two from now I can be!

No comments: