Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Culture of Titles - Part Deux

"I am accountable for ensuring on time deliveries for our customers."
"I am the main conduit for information for our team to stay connected to what is happening in the home office."
"I am responsible for creating the materials needed to sell our products."
"I am in charge of customer delight."

All of these statements are in response to the question, "what do you do?" the most common 'get to know you' question we all use in everyday lives. First we say, "where are you from?" then we ask "what do you do?" Its just how us humans are wired.

The paradigm shift we are suggesting is to create a culture when people feel empowered, responsible and accountable for their role. In the above examples, the answers could have been..
"I'm a delivery driver for Staples."
"I'm the communications manager for Sysco."
I am the marketing manager for Genesco."
"I am every employee of the organization." (Honestly, wouldn't you love to hear that last line come from all your employees?

If you have culture of titles in your organization, start by shifting the conversation from the title to what they do - after all, that is actually the question being asked! Teach your people to think and behave in this manner. There are hundreds of people who work in your company (if not thousands) and every day the same question gets asked - only his time it is more about "how do you fit here and do I salute you?"

This is another one of our easier said than done suggestions, but one that can have a huge impact on your culture. Try it.

No comments: