Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Service Cultures


The best part about traveling is that you get all kinds of examples and stories to share -ones that are too good, so good that you could not have made them up. they have to be true.

This one involves Micheal's, an arts and crafts store. We were planning an event and were making the centerpieces ourselves so that they would match everything perfectly (See Everything Speaks post.)

the first set of containers we bought did not look good. So we sent someone to get a different version. (A part of this story that made it more frustrating is that we had to go to several stores to get the amount we needed and were never offered to have them gathered for us.) Anyway, when the person got back with the new size containers (which looked great) we realized on the receipt that the cashier only charged us for 1 container and not 8 (which is what we got.)

So, I took the original containers back to Michael's to return them. Now, I went back to the store where we got most of the original ones, not the store where we got mischarged. I explained to the cashier that we had not been charged correctly at the other store and that we actually owed more. She gladly rung up the other 7 containers for me. Then I asked to return the original containers. She looked at the receipt and said, "this is only for 4 of the items."

"Yes," I replied, "we had to go to multiple stores to get them." "Well, I will have to charge you a 20% restocking fee for the 5 from the other stores since you do not have a receipt."

Yes, my jaw dropped like yours. I had just brought to their attention they had lost money on my transaction and that they undercharged me. The amount was about $50. The containers we were returning were actually less then the new ones. (Am I confusing anyone here or are you following that if I had not been honest about the other store it would have been cheaper for me!)

Well, I certainly was not going to stand for this - especially from someone wearing a button that said, We love our customers. "sorry, sir, this is our policy" as she directed me to the scotch-taped sing on the counter. "No receipt means I have to charge the 20% fee. Its our policy."

Tune in next time to see how this story plays out. And keep in mind, its a cultural thing!

No comments: