Monday, October 5, 2009

Crowd Control

Its amazing to me when I witness people following "the crowd" versus searching their own way. Last night as I was out walking, I passed by the AMC theater in Scottsdale, AZ. There was a line to get tickets. That is not unusual, I know, but here is what caught my eye.

There were 20 windows to get tickets and only 1 was open. There was a line of 16 people (yes I counted) standing in that one line. To the right and left of the counters were self-serve kiosks where you could walk up and buy your ticket on your own and go right in. No one was in line for any of the 4 kiosks. They were all waiting for the ticket window.

I see the same phenomenon at the airport each week. There are plenty of kiosks to check in, but I still see a long line of people waiting at the counter. I have even reduced my arrival time becasue I know I can count on a check in of less than 5 minutes since everyone will line up in the cues for me and not use the kiosks. (Perhaps writing about this will hurt me, but...)

The point is this, if you woudl like a study in corporate culture, just watch the crowds wherever you go. Chnage is hard in companies - espcecially culture change. You have heard me talk abotu the rule of 1/3rds many times. Whenever you implement a change - 1/3rd of the people will hop on board and support you, 1/3rd of the people will resist and work against you and the last 1/3rd are the fencesitters. They wait to see whcih 1/3rd wins and then they change.

Its always important to know this going in so you cna plan for it and control it. 90% of companies do not and therefore they struggle in the purgotory of change. This struggle can go on for years. Why?

Because we follow the crowd. We watch what the others are doing and join in. Your job is to plan for crowd control. You need to ask yourself these questions:

1. How do I reach the hearts and heads of my employees?
2. How do I create leaders within the crowd who can direct and correct?
3. How do I involve the people who will be affected by this change in the change process?
4. Did I include these people in the decision in the first place?

Change is not evil. Change is necessary. Change can be good. But planning to change is the key.

No comments: