Saturday, January 1, 2011

CES 2011 Predictions

Okay, so this may seem like an odd post, but if you have been following me, you read a post I did April of 2009 where I said that Netbooks were a fad and would go away. At the time, every major firm was predicting they would takeover laptops and that the sales of netbooks would eclipse notbeooks. I disagreed, so I wrote about it.

Anyway, some followers (who know I have a long history in CE) asked me my opinion of what was going to be the big stories of this year's CES. So, I am going on record again and seeing if I am right. (I sure hope so!)

  1. In general, I think the future of consumer electronics (CE) is that you will be able to do whatever you want no matter the screen size. For example, what I an do on my 2.5" cell phone, i will be able to do on my tablet, laptop, desktop and television - screens from 2' to 200" I think you will see this at CES 2011. People showing "smart" TVs that will marry the love we have with our handhelds with the larger screens. Plus, we will want a "cloud" lifestyle hat allows me to move my settings and apps from one screen to the next with ease.
  2. 3D TV was all the rage last year. But the problem with 3D - he glasses. I think this year, we will see someone show us 3D without the glasses.
  3. Integration of handhelds as controllers of other devices. I think we will see some applications where our iPhone or Andorid-based phone will control all our devices in the home and car through bluetooth.
  4. On the Apple front (by the way, hey will not annoucne during CES but will wait a week to get the press for themselves,) I think we will see a new smaller version of the iPad to create a bridge between the iPhone and iPad.
  5. Continuing on Apple, I think we will see the convergence of their app based functionality onto their Macbooks and iMacs. I think thier new operating system with bridge the divide betwene the current iOS and Snow Leopard OS. You will be able to disconnet your iMac screen from the stand and then use it as a tablet. Your iTunes account whihc houses your apps will sync all you devices connected to the same account with the same apps.
So, I am on record and online. This way you can hold me accountable if I am way off or continue he conversation with me if I am close.

No comments: